ASHRM President Message

It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

No…. I am not talking about the holidays approaching, although I love that time of year too. I am eagerly anticipating the ASHRM Annual Conference, where we will gather in San Diego to celebrate our profession, learn from one another, and reconnect after a year apart. Like many others, I look forward to this event not only for the knowledge I will gain, but also for the joy it brings me. Last year, I had the pleasure of spending time with old friends while also meeting new ones, who I have stayed connected with throughout the year. I am excited to continue developing these relationships and spending time together at the conference.

Another exciting aspect of the event is the opportunity to celebrate our peers. It will be wonderful to personally congratulate the incoming board members: Katie Du Fresne, the 2025 president-elect and Myka Whitman and Janell Forget, who will join the advisory board next year, and Anne Huben-Kearney, Meg Garrett, and Mary Jo Thompson, who will join the Nominating Committee. The nominating committee plays a vital role in reviewing applications from individuals interested in serving on the advisory board or nominating committee, ensuring that our organization continues to advance with members who are well-informed and dedicated to our mission and vision. The goal is to have a diverse advisory board that represents the best interests of our membership.

In the past month, I had the privilege of meeting with the opening and closing keynote speakers for the conference. Diana Kander will kick off the event by speaking about innovation and sharing the key skills and habits that make innovation easier and more enjoyable. As risk professionals, it is crucial for us to think outside the box and move beyond the mindset of “that’s how we’ve always done it.”

The closing keynote speaker, Lakshmi Gopalkrishnan, will impart techniques for mastering the language of systems and thriving in any setting, rather than merely surviving. She has collaborated closely with Dr. Brene Brown throughout her career. These sessions will perfectly bookend the conference, energizing us with the spirit that the annual conference is renowned for.

The conference will open at 4:00 p.m. on Sunday with a few words from me reflecting on the past year. During this time, I will present the Presidential Citation. As the president, I have the privilege of recognizing a member for their exceptional and outstanding lifelong service to the field of risk management. The recipient of this award is someone who I have greatly admired and learned from since joining ASHRM. There is no better way to kick off the conference than by celebrating someone who has contributed so much to ASHRM, its members, and to me personally in my professional development.

Additionally, we will have the honor of recognizing this year’s award winners during the conference. You may have noticed that the awards have undergone some changes. The Patient Safety Award has transformed into the Innovation Award, which celebrates organizational excellence in various aspects of risk management. The Rising Star Award will be bestowed upon emerging leaders who have made significant contributions to health care risk management.

Awards will be presented during the All-Attendee Meeting on Monday afternoon. This is when the Health Care Risk Management Professional of the Year and Distinguished Service Awards will also be given out.

Congratulations to ASHRM members, Monica Cooke MA, RNC, CPHQ, CPHRM, DFASHRM, Shahrzad Linda Habibi, JD, MBA, CPHRM, Matthew Hill, Andrew Smokowicz, MHA, CPHRM, Joann Wortham, & Peggy Maguire along with the teams she works with at AdventHealth!

Also, Congratulations to Rawan Narwal-Kasmani, Tamara Vaughan, Charla Ulrich, & Julie Stausmire for their publication that won the John C. West Writing Excellence Award!

The All-Attendee Meeting also offers a great opportunity to learn more about what is happening at ASHRM and how to make the most of your membership. Our new Executive Director, Evan Williams, will be in attendance as well, providing a great chance to get to know him better.

This year we will also be playing Kahoot at the beginning of the general sessions on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Multiple-choice trivia questions will be displayed and those answering correctly (and quickly) will climb up the leaderboard. You will use your smartphone or device to access the game in real-time and select your answers. I hear that there will be some cool prizes awarded to those posting the top scores. You will want to be sure you are at the general sessions early to get logged in so that you can test your knowledge and compete for prizes.

These are just a few of the reasons why I believe the Annual Conference is the most wonderful time of the year! I look forward to seeing you in October and wish you safe travels to San Diego!

Tatum O’Sullivan is a Senior Consultant – Healthcare with Aon Global Risk Consulting. Prior to transitioning to this role, she developed the risk management program for a large medical group within Mass General Brigham. She has worked in health care risk management since 2005.

Provide your information below to subscribe to ASHRM email communications

Authors